Thumbnails

Discussion in 'Terschelling' started by Chris, Feb 2, 2017.

1. Chris

Chris New Member

Hi,

I was wondering if there is any way to stop search engines from indexing the thumbnails on my site for SEO reasons.

The reason is, Google Images has indexed quite a few of my portfolio items and it has indexed the 'related entries' thumbnails - so a portfolio item for a coastal landscape photo shows up in image search as forest landscape photo if that makes sense.

I was wondering if there was some way I could add a 'noindex' entry to the robots.txt, but I would need one of two things
    1) Thumbnails to have '_thumb' or something similar as the suffix for each generated thumbnail or
    2) Generated thumbnails being stored in a separate 'thumbs' directory which I could then add to 'noindex'.

Any other ideas?

Thanks in advance.

2. maimairel

maimairel Administrator
    Staff Member

Hi Chris,

Basically this is not a theme question, but a general WordPress question. As far as I know, there's no out of the box way to alter where images in WordPress are uploaded. You should ask this in the general WordPress forum as there might be more WordPress experienced people there :) As for prefixing images, the thumbnails in related entries for example, has a size prefix at the end of its filename.

Thanks!

3. maimairel

maimairel Administrator
    Staff Member

The problem with prefixing images is, the image used in the archives is actually the exact same image as in the related entries. The images in WordPress are not used in specific locations but are shared and is possible to be used in many different places.